Thursday, November 13, 2008

Veterans Day 2008



Wow! What can I say, but it was quite an unforgetable day!!! So much going on in the world - so much uncertainty, being married to someone who proudly serves our country, and being so grateful for my freedom made me pretty "emotional" (as one of my 2nd graders told Phil I was because I cried).

I volunteered to be on the "Patriotic Committee" and decided that these little kids need to really feel and experience patriotism. So, we started with our "Hall of Heroes" by hanging red, white,and blue stars up and down our halls with names of Veterans that the kids had brought from home. Amazing how many adults came and asked if we could put up friends and family members of theirs too....everyday those stars continued to go up:) It was amazing to see these little kids going up and down the halls reading the names!

We started Veterans Day off by having two National Guard members come and do our flag raising ceremony in front of the school. So happy that the weather was good:) I was so amazed at how quiet 600 kids under the age of 8 could be. Then, when we watched the flag being raised and to hear their little voices so proud and clear echoing back to us - the tears started to flow!!! Every adult there was crying and could hardly finish saying the pledge. What an experience!

The biggest surprise I got was Monday night when I came home - I found my husband there:) I didn't know he was going to be able to come...So, I had Phil and Michelle Halford have lunch in my classroom with the kids (Oh how enjoyable:) ) Then they both talked to the class about their time in Iraq. It was so cute to see the enthusiasm the kids had and how interested they were.


Then off to the gym for our school program. It turned out great! We didn't know how many Veterans we would have but the stage was full. The little ones sang their hearts out to them. It is hard to explain the feeling that fell over the crowd when Taps was played on the trumpet and we had a moment of silence. I remember a similar feeling when I visited Arlington National Cemetary in high school. Then to see the Veterans heads drop deep in thought was overwhelming - and yes "emotional" again!



We ended the program by having the kids line up and down the halls to applaud, cheer and high-5 the Veterans as they walked through the crowd. So cute to see young and old coming together to honor those who have served our country so well! I had Phil be Etmo's seeing eye guide. He informed me he didn't need one, but we thought he might get lost in the crowd if we didn't keep an eye on him.



Etmo, well he's another story! He will turn 93 in a couple of weeks and sharp as can be. I don't think he slept for two nights after I invited him to come to the program. In fact he called me the night before and asked me how long I wanted him to talk and where should he begin - so cute! I told him he can sleep good that night because we were going to perform for him. I don't know how long it took him to get all the way down the hall, but Phil said that he shook every kids hand as he passed by!!!! Then when he was leaving he told me that he had never shaken so many hand in his life...hope this made his day!



So grateful for everyone who has served and is serving our country. We are so blessed to live in such a wonderful country and enjoy the freedoms which we enjoy.


AND A BIG THANK YOU FOR A WONDERFUL HUSBAND WHO SERVES SO PROUDLY!!!!

1 comments:

Chance & Rachel said...

gosh, i wasn't even there and i am a little 'emotional' reading it! :]