Friday, November 14, 2008

Top This!

OK, so all of you that know me, know that I love a good laugh! Well today I got one that I'm still laughing over:)
Have a sweet little Spanish boy who is in special education in my class this year. Doesn't talk, but imitates what the other kids are doing. He's also started giving me a "big hug" everyday when he leaves. Anyway, on Tuesday he came about 15 minutes late to class. When his mom brought him in, she showed me a hand written note. See, she doesn't speak English either. We have quite the communication barriers - but we smile a lot and I talk to her in English anyway:) The note said that they were sorry they were late and that he had "tape worms"... OK - we deal with a lot of interesting things in an elementary school. So I called down to his special ed teacher to let them know he was on his way and what the note said.
So, my mind gets racing about what tape worm does to a person (I've only experienced dogs with worms - YUCK!!!!) This was on Veterans Day and I was telling Phil about it when he was in class. He reassured me that it wasn't contagious and I felt a little more relieved for us but not for my little student.
So, on Thursday he was absent. My mind was racing again hoping he was alright! Then this morning his special ed teacher popped into my room and we got talking. She got this big grin on her face and said that she had forgotten to tell me what had happened on Tuesday. Of course she was very concerned too. So she called our wonderful translator and asked her to contact the mom to see how he was doing. Apparently the mom had gotten on the internet and was using some website to help her write her note. What she really wanted to say was that they had "slept in"!!!! For as much Spanish as I know - I don't know if "tape worms" and "slept in" are close:)
Anyway, if I ever tell you I have tape worms, you'll know what I mean!

3 comments:

Donene said...

That's hilarious! It made me laugh. I just wanted to thank you for your nice comment on my blog, it made me cry. It was such a fun time in YW's and I will always have such fond memories of those years. I love you!!

Gram & Gramp England said...

That's pretty funny Cindy!
Carol

Jessica J. said...

ok that is hilarious... you can find anything on the internet. from my experience, and I am almost a professional... I have no idea how she did it- doesn't make sense but it is super funny. Hope to see you soon mom!